Awnings are great additions to any outdoor space. With the shade and protection they offer, they can undoubtedly extend your outdoor living space, without mentioning yet that they can offer a sense of elegance to your home.
There are a lot of kinds of awnings that you can purchase in today’s market. There are different types and patterns that you can choose from to answer whatever your awning needs are both in terms of function and aesthetic value.
The Cost Of Awnings
The cost of awnings is dependent on the type of your choice:
Metal awnings cost around $100 to $600.
Fabric awnings cost $150 to $650.
Retractable awnings cost $250 to $4,000.
For metal and fabric awnings, the price includes support poles and ropes, mounting points, and awning cover. A purchase of a retractable awning includes the awning cover, retraction mechanism, and support structure. All awning prices refer to premade pieces.
Factors Affecting The Cost Of Awnings
Size. As the size of the awning goes bigger, its price goes higher. For instance a 2×4 foot prefabricated metal awning can cost just around $100 while its large counterparts such as 8×6 foot awnings can cost from $400 to $1,300.
Premade or custom? Premade awnings are usually cheaper as compared to custom awnings. Custom metal awnings, for instance, cost around $9 to $10 per foot while custom fabric awnings can cost up to $11,500.
Manual or motorized? For retractable awnings, you have your choice of manual or motorized units. Manual awnings usually cost around $250 to $1,000 while motorized awning costs range from $1,000 to $4,000.
Standard or select? Awnings for sale are divided into two different categories such as standard and select. For standard awnings, you are given the choice to select two frame colors for the awning. This is the least expensive of your options. On the other hand, select awnings are more expensive because you are given four or more frame colors for your selection.
Quality. The strength and durability of the awnings can also greatly affect prices. High quality items are the most expensive and usually, they come with the longest warranty protection.
Installing metal awnings can mean additional expenses in your part. The cost of metal awning installation depends on its size. However, prices usually range from $100 to $300. Retractable awnings are more expensive to install, usually $200 to $300 and up to $500 for large units.
Getting an electrician to wire awning controls using a hard-wired switch will cost you $400 to $500 extra.
You may need side curtains to be installed from the awning to block more sun. Side curtains will cost around $100 to $200.
Special mounting options for the owning will also cost extra. This can include special brackets for roof installation and ceiling mounting for balcony installation.
Adding motor features to your retractable awning will also be an added expense. These special features include the following:
- Motor with remote control ($400 to $500). The motor works with a special remote control for ease of access.
- Motor with gear override ($300 to $400). This option allows a retractable awning to work both automatically and manually. This is best if you live in an area with frequent power outages.
- Motor with remote control and gear override ($500 to $600). This is a combination of the two above options.
Cleaning the awning is also an extra cost that comes in line with the ownership of a unit. This usually costs around $0.50 to $1 per square foot. This refers to a professional awning cleaning that revolves around brushing the top of the awning, washing it with water and soap, rinsing it completely, and rinsing the sidewalk below the awning.
At some point, the awning can begin to wear. Awning repair jobs cost under $100, especially for simple replacement of support brackets, hinges, and nuts.
Benefits Of Awnings
There are a lot of benefits in line with buying and installing awnings at home more than what your eyes can see. Check out the following advantages of installing awnings here:
- Offers protection from rain. Most awnings are made from waterproofing materials that make them ideal for keeping rain off from the lawn, patio, or deck. With this, you can enjoy your outdoor living area all throughout the year without any fear for rains anymore.
- Offers protection from sunlight. There are times of the day when some parts of the garden cannot be used because of exposure to sunlight. Installing awnings in these places can mean you can enjoy lounging in these areas any time of the day.
- Extends outdoor living spaces. With the protection from sun and rain, awnings undeniably extend your outdoor living areas as there are no more things to hinder you from enjoying the outdoors.
- Adds aesthetic value to your home. With variations of colors and patterns of awnings, they can serve as an aesthetic touch to your property as well.
- Cools your home. Awnings of the right fabric can help decrease the amount of heat inside your home. By blocking direct sunlight into the windows, awnings can undeniably block more heat from coming inside.
- Protects furniture. As awnings block sunlight into the home, it can protect furniture indoors from fading over time. Hence, awnings can help preserve most of your furniture, especially those arranged near window openings such as couches and love seats.
Tips Before You Buy An Awning
Take the necessary measurements for the awning, depending on where you intend to install it. Give some clearance space both lengthwise and widthwise to get the best measurements. It is important that you have the right measurements with you when shopping for awnings to ensure that you’ll get good coverage for the area.
Understand that your choice of frames and materials of the awning will vary per area depending on weather conditions. The same is true for awning styles. Therefore, check the right awning style, frame, and material for your area of residence. Take note that some awnings can be easily damaged by heavy snows and high winds. On the other hand, colored fabric awnings usually fade when it is installed in areas exposed to extreme sunlight.
Know what your personal needs are from an awning such as where you are installing it and how you will be using the shaded space. This will tell you what kind of awning is your best purchase.
Ask neighbors and friends residing in the same area about their awnings. You can basically get good firsthand information when it comes to the quality and durability of awnings they use.
Always purchase your awnings from a trusted retailer. Also, make sure that you hire a properly licensed and insured professional to install the awning for you.
Get an awning with a sufficient warranty. The length of the warranty period will tell you the quality of the awning in the first place. As always, products that have five-year warranty periods are a lot better than those with a one-year warranty period only.
If you want to save money on installation costs, consider doing the task yourself. Simply follow the instructions as provided by the manufacturer to ensure a successful installation.