Nothing beats the ambiance of a room better than a worn-out couch. If the upholstery seems to have failed the test of time, it may be time to reupholster a couch. However, is this the right move in the first place? A lot of people say that buying a new couch is a more practical option than trying to fix what’s broken. This article will help you get an idea on how much does it cost to reupholster a couch and will help you decide what’s best to do with the furniture.
Typical Cost Of Reupholstering A Couch
The average cost of reupholstering a sofa is $600 to $1,000.
Included In The Price Of Reupholstering A Couch
The price includes all works and materials for reupholstering the sofa including labor, fabric, and supplies. This price estimate, however, reflects a basic two-cushion couch. Hence, the price can be lowered when speaking of smaller furniture.
Consider These Factors
- Size. The size of the couch has a lot to do with the price of the upholstery. This is true because the bigger the couch is, the more supplies needed to complete its upholstery. For instance, if your couch needs 15 yards of fabric and you have chosen a fabric priced at $35 per yard, you will have to pay for $525 for the fabric alone.
- Fabric. What type of fabric do you want to get for your couch upholstery? The price of fabric range from $5 per yard to $180 per yard especially when speaking of silk and wool.
- Design. Is your couch a basic one or a very intricate one? The more complicated the design is, the higher the price will become because it requires a lot more labor and effort to do the job with such kind of details in a couch.
- Labor. The average cost of labor is $400 to $600. The labor costs usually increase depending on the amount of job that needs to be done on one couch. The older the couch is, the more work is needed. Moreover, the location of the upholstery service can affect the labor cost to reupholster a couch. Upholstery services renting their own places may price their services higher as compared to small-scale upholstery services doing the job at their own homes.
- Shipping. The cost of shipping a couch is not a joke. This is especially true if you don’t have the proper vehicle at home to bring the sofa to the shop. The cost of shipping may range from $30 to $60 depending on how far you are from the location of the shop.
- Repair. If your couch is too old, there may be chances that its frames and paddings need to be repaired or replaced already. Usually, the upholstery service can do these jobs but require additional fees.
Tips Before You Decide To Reupholster A Couch
Make a measurement of the couch in terms of its height, width, and length. You need these figures to help find a good estimate on the cost to reupholster it. Some upholstery services may need you to send an image of the couch before they can provide you with an estimate. In New York, Finger Upholstery requests just that. You can also get a free estimate from Better Tex.
Once you have the estimates, decide whether it is practical to go on or not. If the cost to reupholster the couch will be more expensive than buying a new one, you may need to think about this choice over and over again. However, if the couch has some value to you, the price to reupholster the sofa may be worth it after all.
You may consider doing the re-upholstery yourself, especially if you have a very simple and basic couch there. This will save you from the cost of labor and shipping. Upholstery Resource has some good contents on DIY guides to reupholstering a couch. You can also check out Upholstery-Supplies-Guide.com to help you find the right supplies to get your DIY project started.